Asparagus Panna Cotta with pancetta and Smoked Trout
Ingredients for the Panna Cotta:
- 50g fresh asparagus, blanched
- Handful of English spinach, washed and dried
- Half an onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 100ml fresh cream
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 200ml double cream yogurt
- 10g (1 sachet) gelatine powder, sponged in 50ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Whole fresh ocean trout, cleaned
- 1 Pack of oak barrel shavings
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
Panna Cotta 20 min
Ocean trout 30 - 45 min
Minimum of 2 hours
- Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil on a low heat until well cooked.
- Add the chicken stock and the cream and bring to a boil.
- Place the whole mix with the spinach and asparagus in a jug blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour through a sieve in a bowl and add the crème fraîche and double cream yogurt.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Melt the sponged gelatine in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds and add to the asparagus mix.
- Mix well so that there is no lumps.
- Pour the mix into dariole moulds or any other preferred mould and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Make a small fire in your braai (we use a Weber) with charcoal and leave it until it is nice and warm.
- Place a piece of heavy duty foil on the grid.
- Place the whole fish on the foil and cover with a lid or more foil.
- Leave on the braai for approx. 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked but not dry.
- Take the fish off the grid and let it cool until you can remove the skin.
- Flake the fish and remove any small bones.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the lemon zest and juice for extra flavour.
Unmould the panna cottas with some warm water on a platter or on individual plates. Serve with pan fried pancetta, blanched asparagus and the smoked ocean trout.