Poached Fennel Mussels with Chardonnay and Cream with Charcoal Ciabatta - Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay
Ingredients for the Poached Fennel Mussels:
- 1kg fresh West Coast mussels, cleaned (Do not put into fresh water)
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized fennel bulb with the leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 250ml (1 cup) Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20g (1 punnet) dill leaves, finely chopped
- 1 kg stone ground flour
- 1 sachets instant dry yeast
- 4 table spoons activated charcoal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 table spoon muscovado sugar
- 2 table spoons scorched and crushed coriander seeds
- 100 ml good quality olive oil
- 650 ml warm water
- 100 g of black sesame seeds
|Poached Fennel Mussels|
|Black Charcoal Ciabatta|
Serves 6 to 8
Poached Fennel Mussels
- Fry the onion, garlic and fennel in the olive oil until well cooked and slightly browned.
- Add the Cathedral Cellar Chardonnay and bring to the boil.
- Add the mussels and cook for approx. 5 minutes or until the mussels open up.
- Add the cream and seasoning and mix through.
- Sprinkle the chopped dill over the mussels and serve
Black Charcoal Ciabatta
- Place the flour, yeast, charcoal, salt, sugar, coriander seeds in a blender with paddle attachment and mix through slowly on low speed. Start adding the oil and then the warm water until all is combined then turn up to full speed.
- This is a very wet dough but don’t be concerned, beat the dough at high speed until the gluten starts to develop long strands and all the dough has pulled away from the sides and collected around the paddle.
- Turn the dough out into a bowl greased with olive oil, cover with cling film, place in a warm area and let it double is size. Turn out onto a well floured surface and sprinkle some flour and black sesame seeds over
- Cut into smaller rolls or use as one big loaf without handling the dough too much and breaking up the yeast bubbles.
- Bake at 200 degrees celsius for about 25 to 35 minutes until done. Serve immediately or let is rest and warm just before serving.